Call for workshop proposals
(Information Sciences Institute, USA)
SPW Publicity Chair:
(University of California, San Diego, USA)
SPW Local Arrangements Chair:
(University of California, Berkeley, USA)
IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Security and Privacy
Chair: Sven Dietrich (Stevens Institute of Technology, USA)
Since 1980, the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (SP) has been the premier forum for the presentation of developments in computer security and electronic privacy, and for bringing together researchers and practitioners in the field.
In order to further expand the opportunities for scientific exchanges, we created a new venue within the IEEE CS Technical Committee on Security and Privacy called Security and Privacy Workshops (SPW). The typical purpose of such a workshop is to cover a specific aspect of security and privacy in more detail, making it easy for the participants to attend IEEE SP and a specialized workshop at IEEE SPW with just one trip. Furthermore, the co-location offers synergies for the organizers. Historically, we have had some workshops (e.g. W2SP, SADFE) co-located with IEEE SP the last few years; the success and popularity of these workshops has led to us formalizing the process and expanding our scope.
Instructions for workshop submissions
Workshop proposal submission site: http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=spw13
Please direct questions to email@example.com
Workshop proposal submissions due: September 7, 2012 PASSED
Acceptance decision: September 15, 2012 PASSED
There will be some interaction in deciding upon and setting up a workshop,
but the initial proposal should already contain as much as possible of the following information:
- Contact information of the workshop organizer.
- Date (Thursday, May 23, or Friday, May 24) and expected length of the workshop (up to 2 days).
- Technical proposal (1 to 2 pages): Topics to be addressed; importance of these topics; preliminary call for papers/posters/contributions; preliminary program committee; proposed review process.
- Publication policy: Workshop with or without official proceedings;
potential publication via web, technical report, or electronic media.
If workshops choose to publish proceedings then it is expected
that they will use the IEEE Computer Society Press.
The SPW organizers will set up a contract with the CS Press that
the individual organizers can utilize.
- Expected number of participants and other local meeting issues, such as the special requirements/equipment for the meeting room.
- Biographies of workshop organizer(s), including workshop organization experience; particularly SPW organization.
- Program committee: who has committed; who has been invited; who will be invited.
- Preliminary call for papers/posters/contributions.
- Commitment to use EasyChair for organization or reason for choosing otherwise.
All workshops associated with IEEE SPW will be under the financial and legal
responsibility of the IEEE Computer Society. This has great advantages for organizers,
e.g., with respect to risk coverage and insurance, but also brings some requirements.
The SPW organizing committee can help you with the following:
meeting rooms at the conference hotel, meeting logistics (A/V, meals etc.),
Budgeting, registration and publicity. Workshops will be advertised on and
hosted on ieee-security.org. The SPW committee will also help with publicity via a
free ad in Security and Privacy Magazine and a banner ad on computer.org, email
lists of past attendees (those with opt-in), and notifications to
Workshop organizers have responsibility for maintaining the workshop website,
soliciting, reviewing, and accepting papers, constructing the final program, all interactions with authors, speakers, etc.
Reviewing should be done in accordance with IEEE guidelines (3 reviews per paper,
avoid COI, program chair must review all comments before they are sent back to
If you are interested, we will send you a more detailed list of the responsibilities,
meeting room options, etc., and would hope to jointly set up a successful workshop.